What You Should Not Do During A Power Failure

What To Do When You Need An Electrical Wiring Repair Or Replacement Project Done
March 25, 2019
An Experienced Electrical Contractor Should Be Able to Identify and Solve Any Problems
March 29, 2019

What You Should Not Do During A Power Failure

Most people believe that they know what to do when there is a power failure. However, there are a lot of things that you should not be doing that you might not know about. When you do the wrong thing, you could make your time without power worse. Here are some tips from professional electrician.

Do Not Light Candles

When there is a power failure, most people will look for candles to light. This is not actually the best thing to do because candles can be a hazard. When you use this age-old coping mechanism, you are inviting a fire hazard into your home.

Once the candles are lit, they could tip over and cause a fire. Additionally, candles do not provide a strong light which makes them worse to use than a torch. It is better to get a bright lantern to use when the power is out.

Do Not Let Your Phone Die

When you do not have enough light to read, you could be tempted to play on your phone. This is something that you should avoid during a power failure because you have no way of charging this vital device. Leaving your phone and saving the battery is important because you never know when you might need it.

As most people do not have a landline anymore, your smartphone will be your only means of communication during the power failure. It is also the only way that you will be able to get information about the failure if necessary. Letting the battery die will leave you isolated and without a means of communication if there is an emergency.

Do Not Keep Your Electronics Plugged In

Most people know to unplug their electronics if there is a lightning storm because of the potential power surges. A lot of people are not aware of the fact that they should unplug during a power failure as well. When the power is restored there is a chance of a power surge which could damage your electronics.

It is important to note that there is another option when it comes to unplugging everything. Installing a surge protector in the electric panel can prevent the power surge from damaging your electronics. Plugging them into a surge-protected power strip is another option that you can consider.

Do Not Open The Fridge

When you open your fridge, you are letting cold air out. When there is a power failure, the fridge has no way to replenish this cold air and your food will spoil faster. During a power failure, the average fridge will be able to keep your food at a safe temperature for approximately 4 hours. Each time you open the fridge, you will be reducing this time period.

This is something that you should also avoid with your freezer. Do not open the fridge or freezer unless necessary. If you know that a power failure is coming, you should also fill your freezer to keep everything cold for longer. The food in a full freezer will stay good for around 48 hours in the event of a power failure.

Do Not Put Your Generator In The Garage

If you have a generator, you should not put it in the garage when you turn it on. Generators will give off carbon monoxide which is toxic as well as a silent killer. The area in your garage is too small for the fumes to dissipate even when you have the garage door open.

It is recommended that you place your generator at least 20 feet away from your home to be safe. You should also build an enclosure around the generator to protect it from the elements. This enclosure should be large enough to comfortably house the generator with space to spare.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Call Now Button