There exists a variety of water heaters in the market. Choosing the right water heater that suits your needs may need one to consider among many options. It is becoming a necessity for households to install water heaters. For homeowners who are thinking about installing a water heating unit, one needs to familiarize him or herself with the products first. There are 4 basic types of water heaters that can be installed in a home which include:
1. The conventional storage tank water heater is the most common of all water heaters. It contains a tank with water which is usually heated. When one opens a tap, this heated water flows to its destination.
The insulation on the tank ensures that the heated water remains warm until when it is needed. When water is used up, more fills the tank and is heated. It is then stored waiting to be used. In case warm water in the tank is used up while one is using it, he or she will be forced to wait for more to heat up.
2. The tankless water heater ensures that there is an endless flow of hot water. It is made up of coils that heat up water whenever needed. It is also known as the on-demand water heater. Water is mainly heated by electric elements as it travels through the pipe coils. This heater does not contain a storage tank.
3. A solar-powered water heater uses solar energy to heat up water. It draws this energy from the sun. This is the most energy efficient water heater. Its solar panels are able to absorb energy from the sun that heats up water. Heated water is stored in a storage tank.
4. An indirect water heater relies on heat from other appliances to heat water. It is a beneficiary of heat from furnaces. It is very energy efficient since it does not require to use its own heat to warm water. It stores warm water in a storage tank.
The decision of choosing a specific water heater has to be made with various considerations in mind including:
1. The energy source of a water heater can either be electricity, gas or solar. This can determine the decision that one makes before buying a water heater. Solar energy is the cheapest and it can greatly reduce utility costs. Electricity, on the other hand, is able to heat up water instantly.
2. The decision regarding the capacity of a water heater should be made in relation to the occupants of a house. Having a large water heater with huge storage is perfect for a home with many people. A small storage tank may lead to inconveniences since water will always be depleted.
3. The price and operation costs of a water heater should be carefully considered. At times, a water heater may be cheap but the overall operating costs of running it may be way expensive. It is very important for an individual to weigh between price and the operation costs before installing a water heater.
4. Digital displays are important in adjusting the temperature settings of a water heater. A heater with such a display is more efficient in scheduling the appliance. These displays are able to monitor energy consumption levels and turn off the heater if need be.
Water heaters can make life more comfortable within homes. They can be very helpful especially during cold seasons. Choosing the right type of water heater can ensure that one does not end up incurring additional costs in the future. It is therefore prudent for one to take his or her time when choosing a water heater for his or her home.